Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: On this memorial day

  1. #1
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    God bless the ones who fought to bring freedom.
    forums


    "There ain't no doubt I love this land...." forums forums forums

    Tim

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    John Prine's "Sam Stone" is always on my playlist for Memorial Day. forums

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ May 25, 2008 07:00 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Bfish

    Thanks for sharing that. War is cruel. I met some guys who paid the price. Freedom did not come cheap. At least to me, it is not a political statement.

    Tim

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    XM Radio played "Sam Stone" this morning on "Deep Tracks" and I am pretty sure it's the first time I've ever heard it. I will lookup the lyrics.

    I am a Vietnam Navy veteran (Tonkin Gulf), so I didn't see any ground action, BUT I sure had friends who are scarred for life. One of my good friends went back twice more because he was treated so bad, here in the US. He could only take so much being spit on at the airport, on his 1st return home. There is also no answer when people yell "baby killer" at you...

    Richard C.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Boulderhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 6th, 2008
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    John Prine? Man, I haven't heard anyone mention his name in a long time. IMHO, he is a national treasure. At this very moment I cannot think of a better songwriter, other than Bob Dylan of course. A songwriter that I truly enjoy that is.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I dare anyone to read the whole story through without stopping. I couldn't read the whole story without tearing up. I recommend having a box of Kleenex nearby.

    From the Denver Rocky Mountain News(links to the story starts in the bottom right). The story is broken up in small 2-3 page sections suitable for 56K modem:
    www.rockymountainnews.com/special-reports/final-salute/


    Here is a link to the complete story .PDF format(~11MB file):
    Complete Story Final Salute.PDF

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks RK.

    ?This isn?t about reminding them," he said.
    ?This is about reminding you.?

    Never forget.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks RK. "Was it worth it?" question really hit home to me. Two of my aunts' entire family were killed by communist. Their crimes? Nothing. They were pro democracy. So to me, it really is not a political statement. Ideology and what not can be discussed forever. I will leave that up to the politicians. But the boys did what they were asked to do. They are heroes to me. That's all.

    Tim

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    bfish & timp: Glad you folks like it.

    timp: Don't know if it is worth it or not. Only time will tell. Personally, I hope it will be worth it. These folks are America's best and brightest.


    To set the mood a bit, try reading the story while listening to John William's "Hymn to the Fallen" the end theme from the soundtrack of the movie Saving Private Ryan.

    <font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ May 26, 2008 09:12 PM: Message edited by: RKLee ]</font></font>

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ May 26, 2008 09:57 PM: Message edited by: RKLee ]</font>

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ..

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ May 26, 2008 09:56 PM: Message edited by: RKLee ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.